Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Back to school


Earlier this week (Oct 24), I started an online TV writing class at the Writers University. The class is Beginning Television Writing, which covers exactly what it says. Buy the end of the class - four weeks from now – I should have a tight, well plotted outline and all the knowledge I need to start writing my spec teleplay. We shall see about that. I’m only 2 days into the class and the information I’ve gained so far has been well worth the $119.96 + $10.85 for the book by the two course instructors, Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin.

I found out about the class from Lee Goldberg’s blog A Writer's Life which I go to daily. His blog is very informative and updated nearly everyday, unlike my mine. I have a few ideas for TV shows and never really understood how to write them. I get the whole screenplay thing for movies, but TV is a whole different thing altogether. I think once I get the basics I should be fine. I’m sure there will be a lot more to learn after this class but this class will lay the foundation for what I do in the future.

I also will be taking my second acting at Mike Lemon Casting her in Philadelphia. I had so much fun in the first one I took which was, the basics of acting with Donna Marrazzo

For that class I had to do few scenes with others, some improve, script analysis and a two minute monologue. I decided to pick a very hard monologue which at the time I thought was a good idea. It didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to but I did learn a lot.

With that class I had all 8 weeks to go over my monologue and got feed back from the class along the way. With the new class I’m taking – Film Acting I – I have to have my monologue ready for the first class on Nov 15th. This class is also an on camera class so I will be videotaped and forced to watch myself act like a fool. No pun intended. Well maybe some pun intended.

3 Comments:

At Monday, October 31, 2005, Blogger Mikey said...

I had a speech class in college where they taped all our speeches, and we had to watch 'em later and do 'self critiques.'
Nothing harder for me than watching myself, and hearing my own voice. It's horrible. A good tool to learn with I guess.

 
At Monday, October 31, 2005, Blogger Mikey said...

Oh yeah, 'Back to School' A classic!

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger Cecil E. Rudd said...

Mikey:

I'm not looking forward to seeing my self on camera at all. I think I could pull off an oscar winning performance and it would still be the hardest thing for me to look at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home