Monday, September 26, 2005

Writer's Laz and Writer's ADD.

I've never experienced writers block, but I do have Writer's Laz and Writer's ADD. You might call them something else, but being as this is a post on my blog, that is what they will be called. A while back I had the fortune to see one of my favorite "film makers", Kevin Smith in his hometown of Red Bank, NJ. If you don't know, he does this question and answer thing for his fans. These could last anywhere from 2 hours to the 7 hour marathon I witnessed. One of the questions asked was, "Do you believe in writer block and or do you have/get it?" Kevin Smith's answer to the question was, "I never get writers block, I kind of get writer's laz. I don't really get blocked, I just get lazy." I have writer's "laz" on top of a case of writer's ADD. My problem is I'm just lazy. Sometimes I don't want to do anything but sleep. The worst part about it is, sometimes I'll have Writer's laz all day long and right when I decide I'm going to go write, I sit down in front of my computer, write one sentence and then fall asleep. As I have yet to find a way to write while I'm sleep this usually doesn’t do my projects any good.

My case of Writer's ADD also keeps me from doing any writing. Most people call it procrastination. I don't because while it could be that, I have better ways of procrastinating then thinking about which project I will do next, which is what I do. One of my biggest problems is knowing which project to pick next. I have a bunch of new ideas and want to pick the right one so when I'm done with it, it would have been well worth it. I don't want to start something and lose interest in it because in the back of my head I have that other project that might be better then the one I'm working on.

As it stands, I have a short that I just did a polish on that needs another re-write. My next project will be a feature in the thriller genre. I hope to have the first draft done before summer, and it should take that long because of the Writer’s Laz and ADD.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, September 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same way, I am on Page 90 of my current script and already running a finger down my list of ideas for the next one...it's a long list BTW so I am set for years

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Today is Cecil's Birthday so everyone should leave him birthday wishes!

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005, Blogger Cecil E. Rudd said...

The Moviequill

I think its better to have a bunch of ideas to pick from then to have just the one you know will get made, only to write it and find out its just not that good.

Alicia

Thanks for the birthday wish. I wrote a birthday post so they can leave them there.

 
At Sunday, October 09, 2005, Blogger Getting rid of my beer gut said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with writer's laz.

 
At Monday, November 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too

 
At Monday, November 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

 
At Friday, November 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! Keep it on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home