Saturday, July 23, 2005

A book a week... Yea right!


I decided I would read/re-read all of my screenwriting books over again in light of me getting back in to writing screenplays. I have close to 10 of them, if not more(Don't know the exact number because I'm writing this from work) and have read most. I'm trying to read one a week (7 day week) because I have other books I'm also reading and have since put on hold. The main reason I'm re-reading them is because they are supposed to be used for reference and I haven't gone back and read any more then once.

The first book I'll be reading is: The 101 habits of highly successful screenwriters: Insider secrets from Hollywoods top writers. This was one of my favorites out off all the ones I own. I highly recommend it. I think this should be one of the first book people new to screenwriting must read. The book is formatted in an interview style with some of the businesses top screenwriting professionals answering questions that everyone wants to ask but can't get close enough to do so. If you on the fence about whether you want to be a screenwriter, what it takes to be one or any other question, I'm sure this book has the answer.

Explained by the Author:

This book is not intended to replace any of the books on craftsmanship. As
Robert McKee says,"No one needs another recipe book to reheat Hollywood
leftovers." Whereas the more then one hundred books on the craft attempt to
teach the reader what to do, this book outlines, by
asking those who are already doing it successfully, how to do it. It focuses on the necessary habits, so
that the "how" becomes second nature to you. In other words, it explains how to be a screenwriter.

This book departs from the established interview books in that its
structure is organized by topic rather the by individual interview, following a
much more efficient model of reverse engineering. In other words, it focuses on a
particular habit, trait, or indispensable skill, and then has a group of highly
successful screenwriters share their thoughts on the subject, much like a panel
of experts discussing a specific topic.



I will list the other books as I get to them, but now I have to go read this
one as I am already behind.

7 Comments:

At Saturday, July 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am doing a similar project, digging out the old books for Round Two. This week I am tackling Teach Yourself Screenwrting by Ray Frensham. Looking forward to your list

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2005, Blogger JimMiller said...

Great book. I read it a few weeks ago with highlighter in hand. The pages turned orange.

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005, Blogger Cecil E. Rudd said...

Moviequill:
I never heard of that book, I'll have to look out for it.

the awful writer:
Same here, so much information I had to use two highlighters because one ran out. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At Wednesday, July 27, 2005, Blogger lad said...

It's a great book, and I like it because it doesn't force anything down your throat. It also gives perspective from people who actually work in the industry. That seems to be a rarity from screenwriting books lately.

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Cecil, if you email me your snail mail I'll send you that book...

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you got two more books read now? (taps foot) huh? ha..just kidding, I miss your blogs man

 
At Saturday, September 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, great book no doubt. One of the first I read. Really impressed upon me how important it is to treat writing as a job regardless of your place in the Great Chain of Screenwriting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home