Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Golden Globes


I don’t watch many award shows but I try and catch a few of the major ones. The Golden Globes happens to be one of the few I actually like. That being said I didn’t know about them being on until about an hour before they started. As I already had a date with a little show called 24, I figures I could just catch the after show or find out who won on the net the next day.

First the good. I was happy for Philip Seymour Hoffman who has been my one of my favorite actor for a long time. Very underrated. Boogie Nights, Almost Famous, Red Dragon, 25th Hour. The list goes on and on. If you don’t believe, just watch Along Came Polly and see how he took a small part in a movie and made it the only thing good about that movie. Also underrated, Mrs. Rachel Weisz’s win was well deserved.

It’s nice to see some of the older actor making a come back. Last year it was Teri Hatcher, this year it was Geena Davis. That was cool. I wish it could have been a three way tie between Zach Braff, Steve Carell and Jason Lee. I hope Steve Carell’s win will draw a bigger audience to The Office. Being in the new Thursday night line up, which is pretty good, should help. Sandra Oh’s win was also well deserved. Terrence Howard’s nom was cool too. Great actor!

The Bad. I know this was Hollywood’s year to come out of the closet with Brokeback Mountain and Transamerica’s Felicity Huffman winning big. But for Crash to go home globeless is really a shame. Crash was by far one of the best movie of last year as well as one of the best films to come along in awhile. When was the last time a movie came out, a fiction movie, and sparked people to have discussions about what they just saw on an intellectual level? Here in Philly, where I live, there were group discussions held after screenings of Crash. I haven’t heard or read from anyone who didn’t like this movie. I know they exist, because they have to. Not everyone likes everything. I find it hard to fathom that the screenplay didn’t at less win. And to not even get nominated for Best Picture – Drama is just blasphemy. Maybe it was the subject but I doubt it. Anyway, I hope that it wins an Oscar for something, anything!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger andrew m. said...

hoffman most def deserves his props. one of my all time favs right up there with steve buschemi, seymour cassel, and bill murray. phil really does have the magical ability to make bit roles into something special. he was great in the big lebowski and magnolia too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home